The Grouped Parishes of Bwlch-y-Cibau and Llanfyllin with Llanwddyn
Christ Church, Bwlch-y-Cibau
The Rev’d Hermione Morris
Tel: 01691 648306
The Rev’d Jonathan Skipper
Christ Church serves the small rural community of Bwlch-y-Cibau which is three miles from the town of Llanfyllin. The ecclesiastical parish has a population of about 100 and comprises of scattered farms with a small village nucleus where the church is situated. Besides the Church the only other community amenities are the ‘Stumble Inn’ public house and the Old School which is used as a community hall.
1st & 3rd Sundays in month - 11.00am HOLY EUCHARIST
2nd Sunday in month - 11.00am FAMILY SERVICE
4th Sunday in month - 6.30pm EVENING PRAYER
5th Sunday in month - 11.00am GROUP EUCHARIST (at one of the churches in the Group)
We extend a warm welcome to Christians of all denominations to our worship.
The church is part of the Living Stones Heritage Trail and is unlocked during the week for those who wish to visit our beautiful church, and to find a quiet space for reflection and prayer.
Baptisms, Weddings and Funerals: please contact the Vicar
Christ Church joins in with many of the church activities taking place in Llanfyllin including:
On the Second Tuesday in the month we are visited by the Chirk and Oswestry Christian Library who come laden with books and videos that can be borrowed. Users can browse and join us for a cup of tea or coffee and a chat in St Myllin’s Vestry between 2.30pm and 4pm;
Christ Church organises several social/fundraising events during the year.
The village has a community hall ‘the Old School’ which we use for meetings and many events.
We are very proud of our beautiful little church.
Christ Church was built between 1862 and 1864 to the design of Sir George Gilbert Scott (1811-1878). Scott was a British architect, and a noted designer, renovating many churches and cathedrals including Westminster Abbey. Other of his buildings besides churches, include the Albert Memorial (1864), St. Pancras Station (1865), and government offices in Whitehall (1861).
Christ Church is a Grade 11 listed building, built in plain Early English style and relatively undecorated in random local stone. Internally there is a wide nave, with a short choir and a semi-circular apse. Projecting from the North wall there is a vestry and an organ chamber. The roof over the apse is of close set rafters, which form a semi-dome. The church seats about 100 adults.
Last updated 24th June 2015.