Back

 St Cynog’s Church, Llangynog 


Picture of St Cynog’s church

Associate Priest with
special responsibility for Llangynog

The Rev’d Lynette Norman
The Saint Melangell Centre
Pennant Melangell
Llangynog, Powys, SY10 0HQ

Tel: 01691 860408
Email:



COMMUNITY

The Parish of Llangynog and the Shrine Church of St. Melangell nestle at the foot of the Berwyn mountains in the Tanat Valley, North Powys. It includes the village of Llangynog and the hamlet of Pennant Melangell and has a population of approximately 300 in total. It is an area of outstanding natural beauty, and, as such, attracts many visitors.

Farming, building and tourism are the main sources of employment in the village, though most of the farms are small family units which only occasionally employ outside casual labour. There are a number of builders who live locally and employ local labour, and there are two caravan sites. Unfortunately, the village no longer has its own shop or school.

Most people in employment travel to bigger towns or cities to work. Oswestry is 20 miles away, Shrewsbury and Wrexham about an hour’s drive and Telford a little further.

Because the primary school was closed in 1971, children of primary age have to travel to the next village, Penybont Fawr, to school, with the exception of children whose parents wish them to receive English medium education, who travel 12 miles to Llanfyllin, where the secondary school is also based. At present, the majority of people living in the area are first language English speakers.

WORSHIP

First Sunday in Month

10am Matins

Second Sunday

10am Holy Eucharist

Third Sunday

10am Matins

Fourth Sunday

10am Holy Eucharist

Fifth Sunday

As announced


CHURCH ACTIVITIES

Mothers Union - A joint branch with the neighbouring parish of Penybont Fawr meets on

The Parish has traditionally organised an annual ecumenical outing for members of church and chapels which contributes to a sense of community and fellowship.

ST CYNOG'S - HISTORY

Llangynog lies in a dramatic setting at the junction of the Rivers Eirth and Tanat, overshadowed by the craggy slopes of Craig Rhiwarth. Church and village are named after Saint Cynog, a son of King Brychan, progenitor of a noted family of Celtic saints.

The first mention of Llangynog church is in the Norwich Taxation of 1254. Little is known of it before 1791-92, when it was reconstructed in Georgian style. Much of the stonework may survive in the existing building, but today the only recognisable Georgian features are the outline of a former priest’s door, and the present main doorway into the church.

The most visible sign of the church’s antiquity is its round churchyard, raised high above the level of the street and shaded by one venerable yew tree. It contains a fascinating assemblage of gravestones from the 18th and 19th Centuries, finely carved in local slate by local craftsmen, and the inscriptions in Welsh or English are well worth studying: many commemorate miners or quarrymen.

The Georgian church was rebuilt in 1894 to the designs of the Oswestry architect William Henry Spaull. His are the windows with their simple geometrical tracery, the south porch, the vestry and the little bellcote. Externally the design is simple and pleasing: internally the same applies, though one might wish Spaull had been less thorough in clearing out the accumulations of the years. The arch-braced roof and the pews date from the restoration and two steps lead up into the chancel which has colourful encaustic tiles, whilst the windows have tinted glass. The chancel woodwork was given in 1941 in memory of Captain Arthur Lloyd whose family owned the slate quarries on Craig Rhiwarth.

The church contains a small exhibition on local history: a guide leaflet is available as well as a booklet with details of a historical trail around the village.

Visitors to the church can obtain refreshment nearby at the New Inn or the Tanat Valley Hotel. There are toilets on the village car park.


Home

Last updated 24th June 2015.