Back

 St Garmon’s Church, Llanfechain 


Picture of St Garmon’s Church, Llanfechain

Vicar

The Rev’d Emma Rees,
The Vicarage, 8 Parc Bronhyddon, Llansantffraid SY22 6DZ

Tel: 01691 829307
Email:

Reader
Mr Christopher Evans




COMMUNITY

Llanfechain is situated in the North East of Montgomeryshire and lies off the main Llansantffraid to Llanfyllin road. People who drive along the main road probably think that Llanfechain is the Byzantine tower, the Methodist Chapel and a handful of road side cottages, never realising that the village proper with its church, school, village hall, inn and houses are tucked away between the road and the river Cain. Places of historical interest include St Garmon’s Well said to be a Holy well used by St Garmon, having great medical properties in it. The road through the village is lined with a variety of traditional stone and black and white timbered buildings. The oldest of these is Plas Cain dating back to 17th century on the bank of the River Cain. The Plas yn Dinas Inn is also another fine example of 16th Century timbered building and was originally a Court House. Unfortunately, the village now has no shop but the Post Office opens on Thursdays in the Village Hall. There is a small council estate mainly built in 1950 and 9 bungalows built in 1967 providing sheltered accommodation for the elderly. Towards the end of the nineties there was a growth in the population with the development of three housing estates within the village boundary. The village is set in a truly rural position surrounded by farms and smallholdings. The population of the village is around 500; many are self-employed and work in farming but a number travel to work in nearby towns. The Church in Wales Primary Controlled School was built in the 1940’s and at present has 40 pupils. There are Mothers Union and Women’s Institute branches, a Friendly Club, Bowls Group and Football team all active in the village. The recreation field and children’s play area are valuable community resources and Llanfechain Village Show is staged on the field annually on August Bank Holiday Monday.

A fuller description of the church and its place in the community is given in its web site.


WORSHIP

First Sunday of
Month:

9.30 am

Holy Communion

Second Sunday

9.30 am

Morning Prayer

Third Sunday

9.30 am

Holy Communion

Fourth Sunday

9.30 am

Family Service

Fifth Sunday

9.30 am

Holy Communion

Thursdays

11.15 am

Holy Communion

Weekly information on Noticeboards and Website www.llansantffraidandllanfechain.org.uk

The church is normally open from 9 am to 4pm daily.

There is now no regular Roman Catholic service in St Garmon’s but it is still licenced for special services and Baptisms, weddings and funerals.


CHURCH ACTIVITIES


HISTORY

There is no date on the current Church but it is of Norman architecture with deeply splayed “arrow slit” windows above the altar. The Church is authoritatively judged as the most complete Norman Church remaining in Montgomeryshire. The magnificent roof of heavy and simply carved oak timbers dates from the 15th century. The font is probably Tudor and bears damage sustained during the Civil War when Cromwell ordered the demolition of Church buildings. The Pulpit bears the date 1636 and the Communion Table is another fine example of timber carving from the Jacobean period. The lower right hand window above the altar shows St Garmon and the number four (probably 429 AD) the period he is thought to have been preaching in the area. The Church has three bells that were hung in 1730 and 1737. Most of the furniture dates from the 19th century when the then Rector supervised renovations to the interior of the Church. Also in the 19th century the small gallery was installed replacing a larger but dangerous gallery.

The circular graveyard (1½ acres) is unusual in the area and popular belief holds that it was created that way so as to leave no corners for the devil to hide in. The Churchyard contains a dated C18th sundial, including a carved pillar and still carrying a dial plate and is Grade II listed. The Church itself is also Grade II listed along with the Lychgate.


Home

Last updated 30th October 2015.