St Garmon’s Pilgrimage Church, Llanarmon Mynydd Mawr
Please contact the Llanrhaeadr group
St. Garmon's became a Pilgrimage Church in Autumn 2014, the parish being amalgamated with St. Dogfan, Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant.
Now in the care of the Diocese of St. Asaph, the Church is looked after by a team of local volunteers. For information about arrangements for Church Services and activities the contact is Mrs Fran Stocking who can be reached at 01691 780155 or email .
The Church being in a peaceful and gloriously beautiful location is ideally situated as a place of Pilgrimage and Prayer, and is regularly visited by people from a wide range of locations world wide. A variety of Services are arranged each year, being principally Whitsun, Easter, Harvest Supper, Christmas, etc. of which details are displayed on the Notice Board in the Porch, in St. Dogfan's Newsletter and distributed widely to 'Friends' by post and email. If you would like to be included on our 'Friends List', or would like directions to help you visit, please contact Fran Stocking.
The Church is open during daylight hours and services may be in English, Welsh or bilingual.
St Garmon’s Church is set in a remote location two miles north-east of what was it’s mother church at Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant.
Llanarmon Mynydd Mawr parish (not to be confused with the parish of Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog over the hill 5 miles to the north) is a small sparsely populated community on the north slopes of the Tanat valley in the foothills of the Berwyn mountains. The church itself lies at the end of a cul-de-sac next to a farm tucked into the hillside. There is a Presbyterian chapel elsewhere in the parish, but no community facilities apart from an old schoolroom next to the churchyard which is used once a year for Harvest Supper. The parish measures about 2 miles square, mostly mountain pasture, and has a population of about 40.
The dedication and location point to an early medieval origin. There is a reference dated 1317 to a curate of Llanarmon. Victorian restoration in 1885/6 by W.H.Spaull of Oswestry has left a structure whose architectural features are all 19th century. However the walls may be earlier and the churchyard appears unaltered, D-shaped abutting a stream. The church consists of a single cell for nave and chancel with a south porch and a vestry at the north east corner. The church is situated at an elevation of 950 ft with magnificent views across the Tanat valley towards the south.
Last updated 8th April 2015.