Back

 St Dogfan’s, Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant 


Picture of St Dogfan’s, Llanrhaeadr

Vicar

Please contact the Llanrhaeadr group

Officers

Details of Officers, contact information and latest news.




 THE PARISH

St. Dogfan's is the central Church of the Llanrhaeadr Group of Parishes, which include St. Thomas's, Penybontfawr and St. Cynog's, Llangynog. Also in the area is the Shrine Church of St. Melangell, Pennant Melangell, and St. Dogfan's has a Daughter Church, St. Mary's, Rhos-y-Brithdir. Details of all these Churches can be found on this web site.

The Parish, being in Interregnum, is presently in the care of the Archdeacon of Montgomery, The Venerable Dr. Peter Pike who can be contacted at the Vicarage, Berriew SY21 8PL or 01686 640223, email .

COMMUNITY

The village name means: the church by the waterfall in the commote of the fast-flowing stream. The Parish covers 23,294 acres and is 8 miles from north to south and the same from east to west. It originally consisted of 16 townships, and was divided into two parts by the River Rhaeadr, one part being in Denbighshire and the other in Montgomeryshire. It is now all in Powys. It can be approached from Oswestry, Llansilin, Llanarmon, Llanfyllin or Llangynog. The population is over a thousand.

The village has an excellent variety of amenities: The Church and two Chapels and a modern Primary School. A Post Office, Newsagent, two General Stores, Butcher, Fish and Chip shop, Hotels and Cafe, Public Conveniences, several Ladies Hair Dressers and a newly built Village Hall with all modern facilities. The Community has a well-supported Sports Facility with Pavilion, Bowling Green and Football Pitches and well-regarded teams. Also in the village are a Dental Surgery, A Medical Practice Surgery, two Garages, an Agricultural Supplier, a Foundry and a Car Body Repair Workshop. Public transport is provided by the local Bus and Coach company which has its head office just outside the Village and arranges coach trips locally, all over the British Isles and abroad.

Tourism is mainly to the Church, where Bishop William Morgan completed the first translation of the Bible into the Welsh language in c1500, the Capel Seion, and the Pystyll, one of the Seven Wonders of Wales, where there is a cafe and ample parking space. Both St Dogfan's Church and Capel Seion are on the North Montgomeryshire Heritage Trail - Living Stones. and of further interest is the well-visited Pilgrimage Church of St. Garmon at Llanarmon Mynydd Mawr - just North of the Village - details of which can be found on this web site.

WORSHIP

First Sunday of Month

11am

Eucharist - bilingual

Second Sunday

11am

Morning Prayer - bilingual

Third Sunday

11am

Eucharist - bilingual

Fourth Sunday

11am

All age, informal worhip

Fifth Sunday

11am

Services as announced

All major celebrations are bilingual.

The Church is open daily in the Summer from 10.00am to 4.00pm
During the winter, and in inclement weather opening times  may need to be curtailed.

St Dogfan’s has three Worship Leaders


CHURCH ACTIVITIES


HISTORY

The church is dedicated to Dogfan (or Doefan), the son of Brychan Brycheiniog, a Prince of Powys in the fifth century and was first founded as a "clas" with "chapels". The oldest part is the nave, which dates back to the 13th century, the north transept, which is built from stone from the river bed, and the south transept being added in the 14th century. The wagon ceiling, with carved Prince of Wales feathers, over the Chancel is 15th century and it is believed that a medieval barrel ceiling lies above this. The lower section of the tower is said to be Augustinian but the upper section is 18th century. There are three bells in the tower which were hung to commemorate the coronation of George III. The north porch and vestry are 19th century additions.

Amongst the relics are a pre-Norman Conquest gravestone in memory of Gwgann son of Edelstan, a Welsh Prince of the 10th century and three pieces of carved stone-one of a person praying, from the 12th century, and two of earlier dates. The font is eight-sided and dated 1663, but the base is believed to be much older. The altar table is dated 1749.

Other noteworthy features

A few notable incumbents.

  1. William Morgan (1545-1604),1578 to 1595-translated the Bible into Welsh, during a troubling time in Llanrhaeadr; saved the Welsh language.
  2. Robert South (1634-1716) – chaplain to the King in 1687; last Rector of the Parish. He was buried in Westminster Abbey.
  3. William Worthington (1703-1778), 1747 to 1778, Canon of York Minster. He improved the Vicarage and built the road to the Pistyll.
  4. Walter Davies (Gwallter Mechain) (1760-1849), 1837 until his death. He is buried by the river bank. He was a bard, an Eisteddfod adjudicator and an archæologist. He wrote two reviews of agriculture and encouraged interest in Welsh literature.
  5. Silas Evans (1864-1940), 1909-38, a noted preacher and astronomer who gained awards in science and Welsh.

PUBLICATIONS AVAILABLE

A Guidebook is available (from inside the church or from the secretary) to St Dogfan's Church. Written by Mrs Ceinwen Edwards and with a Foreword by the Bishop of St Asaph, The Rt. Reverend Gregory Cameron, “St Dogfan’s Church - a Short History of the Parish Church of Llanrhaeadr Ym Mochnant” can be obtained from various outlets in the village, including the Post Office and Siop Bapur (Paper Shop) both on the Market Square, Llanrhaeadr Ym Mochnant, price £3.50, or can be posted out at a cost of £4.00 (inc. P&P). A Welsh version will be available shortly. All monies raised go to St Dogfan’s Church Funds.

A Parish Newsletter is widely distributed bi-monthly with details of Parish Services and Events and information on local arrangements and facilities for Pastoral Assistance or Advice. Copies are on the Church Notice Boards and available from inside Church

THE FUTURE

Discussions are presently taking place for the forming of the 'Tanat Mission Area' which will include the Churches of Llansilin, Llangedwyn and Llangadwalladr, and Llanrhaeadr, Penybontfawr and Llangynog. This is a new initiative of the Church in Wales designed to strengthen and widen the Ministry of local Churches. Information will be widely available as the process develops.


Home

Last updated 8th April 2015.